Recently knee replacement procedures have gained popularity in India because of the medical facilities and skilled and experienced surgeons.
Most people prefer knee replacement surgery in India because of the cost. Knee replacement cost in India is comparatively low compared to other countries such as Turkey, Thailand, Israel, Singapore, Germany and Malaysia. Even though the low cost of knee replacement surgery does not compromise the quality of treatment, knee replacement cost in India is Rs. 208680 to Rs. 278240 while the cost in Turkey is approx USD 4000 TO USD 6000, in Thailand the cost on USD 8400 to USD 12600, in Israel the cost is USD 15200 to USD 22800, in Singapore the cost Is USD 13600 to USD 20400.
What is knee replacement surgery?
Knee replacement, sometimes referred to as knee arthroplasty or full knee replacement, is a surgical procedure performed to resurface an arthritis-damaged knee. The knee joint is formed by bones that are capped at the ends with plastic and metallic parts, such as the kneecap. This operation may be advantageous for someone who has severe arthritis or a significant knee injury.
What happens during Knee replacement surgery?
Knee replacement surgery is often conducted while you are unconscious under a general anaesthetic. The anesthesiologist will inform you of the details prior to the surgery.
- A urinary catheter may be implanted.
- Hair near the surgical site may be trimmed if it is profuse.
- During the procedure, your anesthesiologist will continue to check the blood pressure, SPO2, heart rate, respiration etc.
- To clean the skin around the surgery site, usually, an antiseptic solution is used.
- An incision near the knee shall be made by the surgeon.
- After removing the damaged surfaces of the knee joint, the joint will be resurfaced with the prosthesis. Usually, plastics and metals are used in the manufacture of knee prosthetics. A cemented prosthesis is also the most frequent form of artificial knee prosthesis.
What factors affect the cost of knee replacement surgery?
A variety of factors impact the cost of knee replacement surgery in India, including the following:
- Hospital stay: Hospital cost includes hospital fees, room charges, OT charges and other expenses.
- Implant charges: Patients can select from various implants manufactured in India or imported from elsewhere. The success of the treatment is determined by the quality of the implant utilized during surgery.
- Surgeon fees: It depends on the surgeon’s experience and skill and the facility where the operation is conducted. In
- Length of hospital stay: It has a significant impact on the procedure. If the patient has to stay longer, the procedure cost will be higher.
- Rehabilitation: Patients require rehabilitation after knee replacement surgery to restore strength, mobility, and flexibility. This post-operative therapy is also included in the procedure’s final cost.
Some of the best hospitals in India for Knee replacement surgery are:
- Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon-The hospital is known across the world for its expertise in performing minimally invasive orthopaedic operations, which result in less discomfort, less scarring, and faster recovery. The department’s primary focus is on arthritis, hip replacement, knee joint replacement, revision joint replacement, spine procedures such as disk herniation, shoulder injuries, musculoskeletal & bone tumours, trauma, and pediatric surgery.
- Artemis Hospital, Gurgaon-The facility specializes in complete joint repair, knee arthroscopy and reconstruction, cartilage transplantation, and spinal surgery, among other orthopaedic disorders. The department is outfitted with cutting-edge technology that aids in precise diagnosis and treatment planning. The department boasts of bone density screening, 64-slice CT scans for the management of Osteoporosis etc.
- BLK Super Speciality Hospital, New Delhi- The hospital is regarded as one of the largest in the private sector, drawing the most significant number of patients from across the world.
It provides world-standard therapy with minimum invasion and rapid recovery.
A team of the greatest orthopedists in India provides the best options for complete hip resurfacing, hip surgery, unicondylar and shoulder and elbow joint.
In addition to deformity treatment, the clinic is well-equipped to perform all sorts of limb salvage and bone tumour procedures.
Finally, the cost of knee replacement surgery in India is substantially cheaper than in other nations, making it an appealing option for people seeking low-cost, high-quality medical treatment. Various factors determine the cost of the treatment, including hospital charges, implant costs, surgeon fees, length of hospital stay, and rehabilitation. With some of the world’s best orthopaedic surgeons and hospitals, patients can be assured that they will receive excellent care and treatment at a fraction of the cost of other countries.